Welcome to the Ontario Police Arbitration Commission’s Website
The Ontario Police Arbitration Commission administers the conciliation and mediation-arbitration processes under Part VIII of the Police Services Act
The Arbitration Commission’s main function involves the appointment of conciliators and arbitrators to assist police associations and police services boards in the resolution of disputes arising out of the negotiations and administration of their collective agreements.
Other major responsibilities include:
- Retaining the services of conciliation officers
- Maintaining a register of arbitrators for appointment under the Police Services Act
- Assisting conciliators and arbitrators with administrative arrangements
- Fixing the fees for arbitrators appointed under Section 124 (rights disputes)
- Sponsoring research, and the publication and distribution of information on agreements, decisions and awards
- Maintaining a file of agreements, decisions and awards made under Part VIII of the Police Services Act
The Arbitration Commission is a neutral body and does not become involved in the issues between the parties and does not influence the outcome of conciliation or arbitration.